“Well preserved” means that neither learning nor wisdom was gained. Only statues fail to change.
Well, NaNoWriMo 2017 is over, and I’ve caught up on a little sleep. Between Thanksgiving and an HMO issue, this year was unusually challenging. Oh, I put out 51k of writing, but focus was an issue. The words flew out at times, but too many of those were were ideas that belonged in side stories or a much darker and bleak story.
Health issues during Nano cannot be ignored and don’t care that I am on a deadline.
I wrote a very nice scene for my lead and a character they never met because they died five years ago. Writing was easy that day. I heard a song on the radio and wanted oh so badly to write a songfic, but that would break plausibility so badly, I might as well have written a chapter from Hogwarts. But once the muse grabbed me, the I could not go back to my sketchy outline or notes. So my 51k was fractured, and today I attempted to see how much of my intended story got written and where it ended up.
Identifiable chunks of the 51k:
- Original story intended +20k. On the good side I got through a section I’d been having problems with for months and have snippets that will be easily expnded later.
- side story +5k. This feeds my fondness for redemption arcs and gradual/non-miracle change.
- coming of age story +4k
- Just plain breaks something A +5k Might be salvageable for main story but is perhaps six months later in story-line.
- Just plain breaks something B +2k Cannot use, as there’s no vampires or staffs of resurrection. I did write a nice insight of a major character so that bit will be recycled.
- Just plain breaks something C 11k. An AU of the original story. This one has some plot conflict that only needs minor revisions to serve as part of the original story’s climax. It also made a nice character dev event that got similar request from an early reader. That bit will be nearly perfect for the original as well.
For the last three I need to link these snippets into the original’s notes so I don’t forget them. Let’s see, that’s about 47k of my Nano efforts. The rest is notes, ideas, babbling that could not be salvageed into actual prose.
Next year I am not letting other stories jump on my muse.